How to reset settings in Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Firefox is known to be one of the most stable browsers worldwide. However, as any software, it can start working more slowly or cause some issues. There are many solutions to resolve your browser’s small problems, but returning to default settings is usually the most useful one. Below are just a few tips on how to reset settings in Mozilla Firefox.
Either you have already tried all other troubleshooting options to solve your problem or you’ve just looking for the easiest one to fix your browser, resetting is a real thing that even newbies will definitely cope with.
There are several methods that will help you to reset Mozilla Firefox to default settings easily:
A.Refreshing Mozilla Firefox
The reset feature will move your browser to default state with an ability to save all important data, such as opened tabs and bookmarks.
Resetting settings in your browser will change these features:
- Saved search engines, as well as default search engine will be moved to their original values.
- Homepage button will now be hidden, while the previously set URL-address will be deleted.
- Pinned tabs will now be unpinned.
- New Tab will remain empty unless you have a special version of Mozilla Firefox with an extension that manages it. In this case your page can be preserved.
- Content options will be set up to their defaults.
- Site data and Cookies and will be cleared.
- Default startup tabs will also be removed.
- Both Themes and Extensions will now be disabled.
To reset your browser you will need to follow these simple steps:
- Click Mozilla main menu button, and then choose Help button (in the form of the question mark).
- Click on Troubleshooting Information. If you cannot go to Help menu, just type аbout:support in the http:// (also known as address) bar to have an access to the Troubleshooting information page.
- Choose Refresh Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the current page.
- To confirm the action, click on Refresh Firefox button in the new window.
Firefox will be shut down and then moved to its default settings.
B.Delete browser’s preference files
Firefox can be returned to its default values while saving all your profile data such as browsing history, bookmarks, features, passwords, open tabs, cookies, windows, web form auto-fill data and delete other configurations previously set on your profile.
- To return to your default settings, you will need to open the Troubleshooting Information page. The easiest way is to open it using a question mark sign in the main menu of your browser:
- Locate your profile’s folder. Choose Show Folder to open a file explorer with your profile files.
- Remove the preferences files. Search for the file “prefs.js”, rename or delete it.
You will also need to rename or delete additional preference files such as “prefs.js.moztmp” or “user.js”.
- Open your browser once again and close the file explorer window. It will automatically create a preferences file for your profile.
These are the two simplest ways to return your browser to default settings that can be used even for users with minimum experience. There are still some other methods for this action; however, they may require additional knowledge and more time for performing the process.
Downloads How to reset settings in Mozilla Firefox?
Share the page on your site: